Organized, creative and passionate visual editor with over 25 years of experience with photography and design. A natural leader with 12 years of experience managing photography and graphics departments, projects, and personnel. Deadline-focused with a keen eye for design and color.
Able to juggle multiple tasks and personalities with a clear and focused vision. Excellent at managing teams, boosting productivity, and creating a positive atmosphere with open communication and collaboration.
Enjoys helping others reach their peak potential and enhancing their work to be the best.
Utilizes the Getting Things Done method of productivity and other organizational philosophies to solve problems and make life run smoother.
- Redfin, Seattle, WA — Creative Services Production Designer
Photo retouching, homepage photo direction and editing, video editing, and working with agents and the creative team to build web and print pieces.
- Microsoft/MSN via Filter, Bellevue, WA — Team Lead/Photo Editor — October 2013-May 2016
Visual Team Lead for MSN News, Sports and Finance verticals in a deadline focused, quick turn-around environment. Ensure that the team followed MSN’s core values and standards. Coordinate and plan the schedule for a staff of 25 photo editors. Train team on CMS and process workflows. Source photos and working with vendors for all MSN client-facing products.
- The Herald, Everett, WA — Director of Photography and Graphics — 2004-2013
Directed the daily visual report for print and web products at a community-focused daily newspaper. Managed all aspects of the visual and graphics department including personnel, vision and departmental and capital budgets. Projects included all aspects of videos, photography, graphics and multimedia.
- The Herald, Everett, WA — Staff Photographer — 1998 – 2004
Award-winning staff photographer for a daily newspaper focusing on community journalism.
- The Advocate, Baton Rouge, LA — Photographer (intern) — Aug. 1997 – Dec. 1997
- The Miami Herald, Miami, FL — Photographer (intern) — May 1997 – Aug. 1997
- The Gainesville Sun, Gainesville, FL — Photographer (intern) — Jan. 1997 – May 1997
Education & Training
- University of Florida — Bachelor of Science in Photojournalism, 1998
- American Press Institute – Weeklong workshop on management philosophies in a newsroom environment, 2004
- Stan Kalish Picture Editing Workshop – Photo editing and newspaper management workshop at Ball State, 2004
- University of Washington – Project Management Certification, 2016
- Everett Public Schools Career and Technological Education Committee, Sub-committee Chair. Advised the school district on changes in visual technology for photography, journalism and multimedia.
- Speaker to photography and journalism classes at Western Washington University and area high schools.
- Mentor to numerous high school and college students interested in photography, journalism and multimedia.
- Member of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association (WIAA) Media Advisory Board
Expert in Adobe Photoshop. Departmental and capital budgeting, payroll and project management. Training a team on new workflows and CMS.. Sharepoint, OneNote, Photoshop, Photo Mechanic, Excel, Powerpoint, Keynote, Dreamweaver, HTML, WordPress, Tumblr, various forms of social media and multiple geek skills. Adobe Illustrator and InDesign. Expert in color calibration and color correction. Avid follower of the Getting Things Done, Franklin Covey and Inbox Zero philosophies. Able to problem solve in any situation.
Awards and Publications
National awards in photo editing and photography from the NPPA, Society of Professional Journalists, Hearst Competition, Associated Press, College Photographer of the Year and more.
Published in USA Today, Rolling Stone, Time, The Miami Herald, The Washington Post, MSN, National Geographic and dozens of other national and international publications.